Friday, July 31, 2009

Transforming a Space


















I spent the weekend searching for an apartment in the city. The reality is that what I want costs more than I can really afford, so I will have to make some compromises. In order to get the quality and location I am looking for I am going to have to give up space. So, I started to think about the transformation of space and how one can make it appear to be something different than it is. The question becomes, essentially, how can I make a tiny studio apartment seem larger than it really is and how can I make it completely fabulous? (One's perception is one's reality, right?) Yes, it is extremely small, but I am determined to make it work. First I must eliminate things that take up space but don't serve any real purpose or offer any real visual interest. Maybe I don't need that giant TV set that my father passed down to me. Hmmm...I can give up my grandmother's oversized dresser and store off-season clothing under my bed. And the pair of Bergere chairs that flank my love seat may become a single chair. I think I can create the illusion of a headboard for my bed with some fabric or carefully arranged art or tiles, and it will really help to define my sleeping area and take up much less space! Light, bright colors will be more reflective and will serve to amplify the effects of natural light. And a mirror might really open things up! I must make distinctions between the things I want and the things I need. I surprise myself when I tackle this honestly. By eliminating some pieces, changing the 'rules', moving the boundaries, and pairing objects and pieces that don’t necessarily match I can create the illusion of space and create a unique look. Not only does this allow me to function in a different size space than I am accustomed to, it creates visual interest and transforms a seemingly ordinary space into something unexpected. Hmm...maybe I'll pair that antique dining table with modern dining chairs (I'll have to go from six to four!) covered in a fun, colorful fabric...this will create a completely unexpected juxtaposition.

The same can be said about the spaces we choose and transform as event planners for our events. Each space and location has its own personality and defining characteristics. Some spaces are beautiful and the location works, but they are truly small and dimensionally demanding. When this is the case, it is then up to us to transform it and work with these attributes to create something entirely new...and fabulous...and to make it seem larger than it really is! Space planning is certainly an art and not a science, and it is exciting to find a space, work within its constraints and create an environment that one might not expect. It is quite possible to overcome the obstacles that come with a confined space with clever design, whether you are transforming a venue for a special party or event, or making a small efficiency apartment livable. Good things come in small packages, right?

by Julie Pike, Event Planner

No comments: