Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Little Girl Realizing Her Dreams

















The “powers that be” at Gala have requested that I submit a blog for the company website. So, much like it was in school, I find myself up late on a Sunday night frantically preparing a paper – of which I know nothing about – that is due in the morning. Will I be graded on this assignment? What happens if I fail? Will there be any extra credit I can apply towards my final score? Being my first attempt at blogging, I would ask that the “powers that be” show mercy on me.

Let me see, where to begin? I grew up a poor coal miner’s daughter. Times were tough for a young girl working in the mines. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of getting away someday. Like other little girls, I would dream of a world with high society parties, debutant balls, and beautiful “Gala” events. But - as many of us know - life sometimes has its own plan. So I find myself many years later a grown man – don’t ask , it’s a long drawn out story involving a sheman, a unicorn, and a game of Kings – helping produce, rather than attend, these high society parties for “Gala Events” - and much to my surprise - I really enjoy it! (not the part about being a man-I knew that all along. I mean I do enjoy being a man- I was surprised about enjoying the event production process.) There is a great satisfaction in taking an idea from a brainstorming session, putting it to paper, and then making it happen. Seeing an idea come to life – that’s what I’m talkin’ ‘bout! There’s a lot of planning and preparation that goes into a party however- not to mention the occasional stress (oh -and the building of furniture- lots of furniture building!)-But once the party is completely set up – it’s truly amazing! I always look forward to seeing what we’ll do next at Gala. I would like to thank the “powers that be” at Gala – you know who you are – for helping a little girl to realize her dreams. Now – has anyone seen my tape measure?

by Russell Einhorn, Master Carpenter

No comments: