Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Green Space in a Chaotic Place

I recently visited New York City’s High Line Park, originally a 1.45 mile-long elevated steel train track built in the 1930s whose structure still stands in New York’s Meat Packing District and has been transformed into an attractive and interesting public space. The park opened one section in June 2009 and the other sections are still under construction.



I was not entirely sure what to expect before visiting the park – it sounded interesting but I wasn’t sure how actual train tracks could be transformed into a scenic landscape. After walking up the stairs to enter High Line, I knew I was in for a treat. I couldn’t get enough – from the beautiful view of the skyline to the integrated concrete pathways and plantings – I had never seen anything like it! I’ve always been fascinated by gardens and parks in large cities and love how they add a feeling of serenity and peace to the chaotic lifestyle of any city. High Line Park does just that…and more. You aren’t just surrounded by grass and trees the way walking through Central Park might be, you are literally situated above the city on a green oasis, looking down at the rest of the city passing by. It is difficult to recreate that feeling in a typical
city park or garden.



I’ve only spent a couple months at Gala, however, in that short amount of time I’ve learned a great deal about the ins and outs of event planning. I find venue choice really interesting because there are different ways of looking at it. For example: 1) your event planner & team can drastically transform any venue OR 2) the venue can drastically transform your event. Obviously these aren’t the only things to consider when choosing a venue, however, I am fascinated by the way almost any outdoor venue (especially one in a city) can really enhance your event.



A city landscape like the High Line Park would be an unforgettable venue for an event. As soon as you enter the park, you feel as though you are experiencing New York at a slower pace than everyone else in the city and I think people need to experience that once in a while. There is nothing that can replicate its modern design and quaint elegance situated in the midst of New York City’s chaos. When the entire project is finished, it will be an incredible addition to the city.



Spending time at Gala has transformed the way I perceive design and décor in a very positive way. Prior to working with event planners and designers, I wouldn’t have thought twice about High Line Park as an exciting event venue. I have acquired the ability to be more critical and observant – and I owe it all to Gala!

submitted by Anna Pike

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great reporting, Anna!! Your piece is easily the best thing published on this terrific blog. You can plan my events any day!